Sunday, February 8, 2009

Montmartre and the islands



On Monday the 2nd of February it had become winter in Paris once more. It was slushy-icy-rainy and boring weather. K made up a good plan however and suggested we go for breakfast at Breakfast in America. That proved to be a very good plan indeed. Breakfast was sooo good and we both bought shoes in rue St. Antoine afterwards. What better way to start off the morning?

We dropped off the purchases at the appartment before venturing to Montmartre. They had actually closed the park where the very famous carrousel is placed beneath the Sacre Cour so we had to make our way up the straight stairs instead. Which actually just makes it easier to choose cause I always have a hard time making up my mind between the two possibilities. K being a climber was of course much faster up the stairs than me! Btw. I forgot to tell that she actually tried to climb the Eiffel Tower. I have photos to proove it ;-)

We took refuge in the Sacre Cour for a while. This is a church I just love. It is very beautiful. After that K was singing in the rain behind the church. And once she finished that performance we were on to try and find her a hat. Turned out she was just envious of mine – she ended up buying exactly the same as mine and in the same shop ;-) However to be fair hers is black whereas mine is green. We looked like such a cute pair when we sported the hats that night on our walk on Ile de la Cité and Ile St. Louis.
Our excursion to Montmartre included the obligatory visit to Antoine et Lili. I just love their clothes and accessories. And the store itself is so beautiful. Breaktime was spent at Amelie’s café les deux moulins which was fun to experience from the inside. And I honestly think we were the only tourists in there at that moment. I guess the Amelie hype has subsided a bit. Or it may just be the season. All the romantics think that Paris is only good in summertime. Though I could definetely have used a bit more warmth on that day I will say as the tough people from Scandinavia do, that it is not a question of bad weather but a question of dressing for the weather that happens to be.

We decided to go home and cook dinner at home. I made my famous veggie curry with rice. People who know me well know that this is what I pretty much always eat. I need to pull myself together and start experimenting again. Well in little more than a week I will be home and hopefully have a bit more time and energy to do exactly that!

After dinner we managed to drag each other out again to go and walk the islands as I mentioned above. We did some great photos in the dark. I am really happy that I got to spend four days with K here. Mainly for the nice company but definetely also for all the new ideas I got and new tricks I learned when it comes to photograpy.